The Hibbing Public Utilities Commission is seeking an individual for the full-time position of Director of Electrical Systems. HPU is comprised of electric and steam generation; electric, steam, water, and gas distribution.
Minimum Qualifications: BS in Electrical Engineering with an emphasis in power preferred; Minnesota PE license or ability to obtain. Preferred Qualifications: Experience in a power generation setting; experience working with transmissionand distribution lines; experience working with plant and system controls; working knowledge and understanding of codes, standards, laws and regulations relevant to utility operations; knowledge in the development of construction bid packages and specifications; supervisory position overseeing Electrical Line-workers, Plant Electricians & Instrumentation Technicians, Engineering Technicians, and Meter Technicians. Excellent health and leave benefits. Salary DOQ.
To apply for this position jump to the Application Section. Application deadline is September 17, 2018 or until filled.
Position Title: DIRECTOR OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
Function: Responsible for the planning, direction, and control of the Electrical Distribution Systems (both outside and in the Power Plant), Control Systems (both outside and in the Power Plant), and other duties as may be assigned.
Major Segments of Position: (What the Individual has to do)
Electrical Systems (high-voltage)
- Supervises all aspects of electric power distribution for the Utility. Plans programs and procedures to assure continuity of power supply in the power plant and service area.
- Plans, schedules, and supervises the maintenance and repair of all transmission and distribution equipment and power plant electrical systems.
- Participates in the planning, design, and/or establishing specifications for the construction of new electrical facilities and equipment, repair and/or modification of existing facilities.
- Monitors the electrical generation, transmission and control of the power plant and service territory and the maintenance of the power plant electrical equipment. Responds to major power distribution outages and Power Plant bus emergencies. Recommends changes or improvements to avoid serious work delays or added cost.
- Oversees electrical construction to assure compliance with established engineering specifications, electrical codes, IEEE, ANSI, and safety standards.
- Assists in the operation of the facility’s electrical systems, including the power plant (Generation, loading of feeders, transformers, motors, etc.) and outside distribution system. Writes switching orders.
- Develops electrical plans, specifications, public bids and drawings. Interprets and applies the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70), National Electrical Safety Code (NESC)(C2), and NFPA 70E (Handbook for Electrical Safety in the workplace).
- Complies with OSHA Standard 1910.269.
- Obtains Highway and County electrical project permits as needed.
- Prepares outage reports and updates outage statistics.
- Conducts engineering feasibility studies related to voltage reduction, load low, load management, fault current, coordination, system protection, stability and reliability of the electric system.
- Develops and conducts computer-based load modeling studies and develops load forecasts.
- Familiarity with SCADA operations and assist in development and operation of load management program strategies.
- Assist in maintaining charts, maps, records of the electric power distribution system and is responsible for the development and continuation of the electric distribution geographical information system.
Control Systems (low-voltage)
- Directs and administrates distributed control systems (DCS) (Delta V preferred). Guardian support, knowledge based articles (KBAs), asset management software (AMS). Maintain renewal and system version upgrades for vendor supplied software patches/revisions.
- Directs repairs, maintenance, and programming of programmable logic controls (PLCs).
- Evaluates and reports on dependability and reliability of instrumentation.
- Supervises compiling and reporting plant results utilizing Microsoft Excel and environmental reporting data through data acquisition systems (DAS).
- Understand and utilizes XL reporter for plant history communications.
- Direct personnel in continuous emission monitoring (CEMs) and opacity monitoring (COMs) equipment to ensure compliance with Title V Air Quality Permit.
- Understands Human Machine Interface (HMI) technology and direct changes to control screen displays.
- Understands the theory of operation for all utility systems for controls and instrumentation troubleshooting and repair to include water treatment systems, wireless systems for well operations and any other systems used by any of the utilities departments including electrical generation, steam distribution, water distribution and treatment, gas distribution and other systems as required.
- Direct customer metering improvements including automated meter recording (AMR) and infrastructure (AMI) efforts.
- Administers the current labor agreement within the department and represents the Utility in the first step of the grievance procedures. Respond appropriately to employees concerns and complaints
- Prepares electrical, controls, metering, and engineering Public Bid and Requests for Quotes/Proposal documents.
- Plans and recommends budgets, operates within approved budgets.
- Insures documentation for construction, operations, and maintenance is properly recorded and up to date.
- Maintain lines of communications between assigned employees, departments, the management staff to keep all informed of the status of problems and projects.
- Recommend and justify the need to create positions, fill approved vacancies, and participate in the evaluation and provide a recommendation for the hiring of new employees to fill approved vacancies.
- When required, provide employee performance evaluations, recommend promotions and/or transfers of employees under the incumbent’s supervision.
- Oversee the safety of assigned employees by training and instructing the individuals in the proper safety procedures and by monitoring work in progress.
- Guide, direct, motivate employees. Provide leadership and recognition of employee’s efforts; maintain a high level of productivity and harmony among workers. Provide corrective action and discipline of employees.
- Attend all Public Utility Commission and Department Head meetings; attend and participate in seminars, workshops, and other meetings relative to utility operations as directed or requested.
- Travels to work sites that may result in exposure to disagreeable elements; occasionally works beyond 8 hours per day.
- Submits to the General Manager a monthly summary report on the operations of the systems.
- Respond to all regulatory agency and customer inquiries and complaints regarding electrical customer services and develop resolution and implementation plans to resolve complaints.
- Performs other duties, assumes other responsibilities as need is apparent or as delegated by the General Manager.
- Reports to: General Manager
- Supervises: Line Crew, Plant Electrical and Instrumentation, Meter Repair Technicians, and Engineering Technicians
Education: B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, power option preferred.
- Five or more years progressive experience in the planning, direction, and control of the transmission, distribution and measurement of electric power; including the engineering, construction, operation and maintenance of related equipment; must have experience in protective relaying, and other electrical controls.
- Two or more years of experience must have been at the department head level including the development and implementation of operating and capital budgets.
- Demonstrated above average ability for both verbal and written communication is essential.
- Be a registered Professional Engineer or have the capability to obtain such accreditation.
- Must possess a valid Minnesota State Class D driver’s license
Completed applications should include: 1) a letter of application; 2) a resume; and 3) an HPU job application. All three should be sent to:
Hibbing Public Utilities
1902 E 6th Ave
Hibbing, MN 55746
Fax (218) 262-7756
Application deadline is September 17, 2018 or until filled.